DAILY NEWS

Stay Ahead, Stay Informed – Every Day

Advertisement
Steep drop in number of people with Affordable Care Act health coverage, analysis finds : NPR


The HealthCare.gov website is the starting place for anyone who needs to buy health insurance on their own.

Patrick Sison/AP

hide caption

toggle caption

Patrick Sison/AP

As many as 5 million people who buy health insurance on the Affordable Care Act marketplaces may drop their coverage this year, according to a new analysis from KFF, the nonpartisan health research organization.

That’s many more than the initial enrollment statistics indicated. About one million fewer people signed up for a plan this year compared to the year before, but insurers, administrators, and other health policy experts warned that the picture would likely get worse as time went on and people found they could not afford to keep their plans. A major reason for the sharp drop in enrollment is that enhanced premium tax credits for these health plans expired at the end of last year. Congress came close to a compromise to extend the extra federal money that helped keep premiums down, but the deal fell apart.

“Costs went up significantly and a lot of people dropped their plans,” says Cynthia Cox, a co-author of the analysis and director of KFF’s Program on the ACA. The report analyzed a range of data, from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and state-based marketplaces, along with KFF survey data and estimates from Wakely Consulting Group.

Although much of the information is still preliminary, the analysis projects that enrollment in these marketplaces will plunge this year, from 22 million in 2025 to about 17 million in 2026. This is similar to CMS’s internal data as reported by NOTUS last week, the KFF analysis notes. The 5 million people dropping out of the markets could have bought health coverage elsewhere, but Cox says most probably became uninsured. “Those who stayed (in the marketplaces) are paying more, either in the form of higher premiums or higher deductibles or both,” she says. Last fall, KFF projected that premiums were doubling on average. “What ended up happening is that a lot of people who had the steepest increases dropped coverage,” she explains. “Also, a lot of people moved on to a lower level of coverage that has a much higher deductible.” The bottom line is that pretty much everyone with an ACA plan is paying more.

“If you’re uninsured, you’re going to face higher costs if you need to go to the doctor,” Cox says. You’re also at risk of financial catastrophe if you face a major accident or serious diagnosis. “If you are paying a higher premium to keep your coverage again, you still might not have as much money to be able to afford to go to the doctor,” she says. “And if you move into a high deductible plan, then that means that you might have to pay out a lot more money before your coverage kicks in.” The new report found deductibles rose last year more than they ever had before, by an average of $1,000. There is a bit of a positive note, Cox says. It seems like insurance companies did a pretty good job of predicting what would happen this year in terms of who would drop coverage and how that would affect the market. So it’s possible this is a one-year shock, after the extra premium subsidies expired. “It might mean that we don’t see a lot of insurers needing to do another big market correction,” she explains. She says it’ll become clear soon, as insurance companies file their rates for next year, whether costs are going to go up again next year, or — best case — this is the new normal.



Source link

When did it start? What’s the U.S. response? : NPR


To keep Ebola from spreading in this current outbreak, a border health officer at the Busunga crossing between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo checks a traveler’s temperature using a contactless infrared thermometer on May 18.

Badru Katumba/AFP/via Getty Images

hide caption

toggle caption

Badru Katumba/AFP/via Getty Images

Over the span of a few days, public health officials went from announcing a new Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo on May 15 and Uganda to declaring it an international public health emergency two days later. By that time, the toll was notable. More than 200 people had been infected, and more than 80 had died before the disease was identified as a rare strain of Ebola, the viral hemorrhagic fever that sparked a global outbreak in 2014. There are two critical questions about timing: When did this outbreak actually start? And why did public health officials detect it so late?

And there’s another key question to consider: Has the U.S., which has traditionally been a key player in emerging outbreaks, been hampered in its response by its withdrawal from the World Health Organization? When did it start? The early data on the outbreak —- 246 suspected cases and 65 suspected deaths in the initial report — raised the eyebrows of some infectious disease experts. “My immediate impression was that this is an extraordinarily large number of deaths and suspected cases that was being reported in what was supposed to be a new outbreak,” says Boghuma Titanji, an infectious disease physician at Emory University. “My immediate instinct was that this has been ongoing for a couple of weeks and has taken some time to identify. That sent off alarm bells in my mind.” Since then, the toll has risen to at least 88 deaths and more than 330 suspected infections. Health officials now believe that the first known case was a health worker in Bunia, DRC, who began experiencing fever, hemorrhaging, vomiting and intense malaise on April 24. That person later died, according to WHO. But it would take another three weeks before health officials officially said Ebola was spreading. That delay has allowed the virus to spread, says Jeremy Konyndyk, president of Refugees International and former director of the United States Agency for International Development’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance during the Obama administration. “This outbreak has a lot of momentum.”

Why did it take so long to detect? The species of Ebola that’s spreading is partly to blame for the delay. It’s called Bundibugyo, and it’s relatively rare, with a genetic sequence that’s about 30% different than Ebola virus species that typically cause outbreaks, says Titanji. That also means there are no approved vaccines or treatments. “Some of the initial testing that was done didn’t pick up this Bundibugyo virus,” she says, since those tests were designed for more common versions of Ebola. As a result, samples had to be sent to more specialized testing centers. That can take time, especially in this region of DRC, where ongoing conflict and difficult travel conditions can delay shipments. What’s been the U.S. role? At least one American who worked in the DRC for a nongovernmental organization has been sickened in this outbreak, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed in a press call May 18. Six additional Americans are considered high-risk exposures. The CDC is working with the State Department to move these individuals to Germany for monitoring and treatment. “Given the previous experience with caring for Ebola patients, coupled with the flight times being significantly shorter, this allows us to get these persons to points of care quickly,” said CDC Ebola response incident manager Satish Pillai in the call. Pillai also said the agency was surging technical and field experts requested by the DRC, beyond the 25 or so staff members in the CDC DRC Country Office. “Anything that the country office and the Ministry (of Health) is requesting for support, we will be providing,” he said. But cuts made by the Trump Administration to U.S. domestic and international health agencies raises questions about whether the U.S. is continuing to support disease surveillance across DRC. “The U.S. invested in disease surveillance capacity in Congo because it is such a hotbed of known novel outbreak risks,” says Konyndyk. “That disease detection surveillance architecture has been badly weakened.”  The U.S. CDC and the United States Agency for International Development both played key roles in surveillance. USAID had staff all across the country who could gather disease intel. And CDC staff, both in DRC and the U.S., helped transport samples and analyze them.

CDC has been battered by funding and staffing cuts over the past year and a half. And USAID’s DRC mission was shuttered last year, limiting the U.S. response, says Konyndyk. In a statement to NPR, the State Department said “It is false to claim that the USAID reform has negatively impacted our ability to respond to Ebola,” adding that funding and support to combat Ebola would continue. Other moves by the Trump administration are having an impact, say the disease doctors. A shrinking budget at the World Health Organization – most notably because of the administration’s withdrawal from the U.S. body – have reduced the size of WHO’s international emergency division, says Konyndyk. (does WHO confirm this?) At a May 17 press conference, CDC’s Pillai did not respond to a question about whether funding cuts to CDC contributed to the delay. He did say that CDC only learned about the outbreak on May 14th, the day before it was announced. That relatively late-in-the-game notification struck Demetre Daskalakis, a former high-ranking official at CDC. “We used to be like the first or second call for many of these things,” he says. “Though I’m not on the ground at the DRC to tell you what happened, it does seem weird that we accrued a couple 100 cases of this before CDC got any inkling of information.” On the press call, Pillai said the difficult conditions of the outbreak’s epicenter likely account for the delay. Cases are concentrated in the Ituri province of northeastern DRC, a mining area experiencing ongoing conflict. In the past, humanitarian programs operating in such areas have acted as informal disease surveillance networks. Aid workers, providing medical care or food in conflict regions, can often flag unusual outbreaks of diseases in areas outside of the government’s reach, says Konyndyk. U.S. funding for such programs “has been almost wiped out,” he says. “Total humanitarian funding in Congo was over $900 million in the last year of the Biden administration, that dropped by close to 80% down to 179 million during the first year of the Trump administration.”

It’s difficult to say for certain whether aid cuts caused the delayed reporting, says Konyndyk. But “at every level, international response capacity has been badly undermined by the U.S, and also wider global funding cuts.” What the future holds Overall, the delayed detection of this outbreak will make it harder to get under control., say the infectious disease specialists interviewed by NPR. Right now, international health agencies — including the U.S. CDC — are scrambling to send staff and supplies. They’re focused on identifying cases, caring for patients and isolating their contacts to limit the spread. “I’m very worried,” says Konyndyk. “The whole international response architecture is much weaker than it was a few years ago.”



Source link