Please agree to our privacy policy to enable news listening. (Central News Agency, Kyiv, Comprehensive Foreign News Report on the 8th) U.S. President Trump announced today that Russia and Ukraine will cease fire for three days starting from the 9th, and expressed hope that this will become the beginning of a long-term agreement to end the Russia-Ukraine war. Agence France-Presse reported that Russia had previously announced that in order to commemorate Victory Day in World War II on May 9, it would implement a two-day unilateral ceasefire from the 9th. Ukraine said it had also proposed a ceasefire but was ignored by Moscow. Trump posted on his social platform “Truth Social” that “I am pleased to announce that the Russia-Ukraine war will implement a three-day ceasefire on May 9th, 10th and 11th.” He also stated that during the ceasefire, both sides will exchange 1,000 prisoners of war. He said: “This request was made directly by me, and I am very grateful to President Vladimir Putin and President Volodymyr Zelenskyy for agreeing… I hope this will be the beginning of the end of this long, deadly and fierce war.” Before Trump announced the ceasefire, Russia and Ukraine continued to attack each other today. Ukraine has never stated before that it would abide by the short ceasefire proposed by Russia, criticizing Putin for only wanting to ensure that the annual military parade on Red Square on the 9th goes smoothly. Russia has threatened to launch a large-scale attack on the core areas of Kiev if Ukraine interferes with the Victory Day military parade, and has repeatedly called on foreign diplomats to leave the Ukrainian capital early. In the 25 years since Putin has been in power, he has used the historical memory of the Soviet Union’s victory over Nazi Germany as the core narrative. He holds a large military parade in the center of Moscow on May 9 every year and uses this to rationalize the invasion of Ukraine. (Compiled by: Xu Ruicheng) 1150509 Support the Central News Agency’s choice to stand with the facts. Every donation you make is a small amount of sponsorship to protect press freedom. Download the Central News Agency’s “First-hand News” APP to get the latest news in real time. The text, pictures and audio and video of this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast or publicly transmitted and used without authorization.
Source link


