DAILY NEWS

Stay Ahead, Stay Informed – Every Day

Advertisement
Pope Leo XIV will visit France in September and will go to the UNESCO headquarters | International | CNA



Please agree to our privacy policy to enable news listening. (Central News Agency, Vatican Comprehensive Foreign News Report on the 16th) The Vatican announced today that Pope Leo XIV will visit France from September 25 to 28 and will visit the headquarters of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in Paris, the French capital. The organization is facing a budget shortfall after the United States withdrew last year. Reuters reported that Leo XIV was the first pope from the United States, and some of his ancestors were French immigrants to the United States. During this visit he is likely to celebrate mass at the famous Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris. Notre Dame de Paris was listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1991. It suffered a devastating fire in 2019 and part of the structure almost collapsed. After five years of reconstruction, it reopened in 2024. Leo XIV, who celebrated his first anniversary in office on the 8th of this month, has increased his schedule and issued tougher remarks in the past period. His criticism of the Iran war drew dissatisfaction from US President Donald Trump. After Trump returned to the White House last year, he decided to withdraw the United States from UNESCO. The agency said its overall budget was reduced by 8% as a result. Pope Leo XIV has visited 4 African countries and Monaco this year. He is expected to visit Spain in June. France will be his fourth trip this year. The Holy See stated that the detailed itinerary will be announced separately. (Translator: Gao Zhaofen/Version: Zhang Zhengqian) 1150516 Support Central News Agency’s choice to stand with the facts. Every donation you make is a force to protect press freedom. Small-amount sponsorship downloads the Central News Agency’s “First-hand News” APP to get the latest news in real time. The text, pictures, and audio and video on this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast, or publicly transmitted and used without authorization.



Source link

The EU is considering expanding the scope of the Red Sea mission and plans to include the Strait of Hormuz after the war | International | Central News Agency CNA



Please agree to our privacy policy to enable news listening. (Central News Agency, Brussels, comprehensive foreign news report on the 12th) EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Callas said today that once the US-Iran war ends, the European Union (EU) may expand the “Operation Aspides” currently implemented in the Red Sea to the Strait of Hormuz. Agence France-Presse reported that Kaja Kallas said after a meeting of EU defense ministers: “Operation Shield has played a key role in protecting shipping in the Red Sea, and the scope of this operation is expected to be expanded to the Strait of Hormuz.” Kallas said that some countries have promised to send additional ships to this operation, and these reinforcements will be of great help if they decide to expand the scope of the operation. Affected by the US-Iran war launched by US President Trump and the impact of this war on the global economy, European countries are trying to help restore smooth shipping after the conflict is over. France and the United Kingdom have taken the lead in discussions on naval deployment in the Middle East. More than 40 defense ministers held a new round of consultations today. The U.S.-Iran negotiations currently seem to be at a deadlock. This negotiation not only involves ending the U.S.-Iran war, but also involves reopening the Strait of Hormuz. About 1/5 of the world’s oil and natural gas must be transported through the Strait of Hormuz. The blockade by Iran has led to a rise in global energy prices. (Compiled by: Zhang Mingxuan) 1150513 Support the Central News Agency’s choice to stand with the facts. Every donation you make is a small amount of support to protect press freedom. Download the Central News Agency’s “First-hand News” APP to get the latest news in real time. The text, pictures and audio and video of this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast or publicly transmitted and used without authorization.



Source link

Wang Yi: China and France need to strengthen strategic communication | Cross-Strait | Central News Agency CNA



Please agree to our privacy policy to enable news listening. (Central News Agency, Taipei, 9th) Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi held talks with French Presidential Foreign Policy Advisor Bernal in Beijing on the 8th and said that China and France need to strengthen strategic communication and carry out strategic coordination to jointly respond to global challenges; Bernard said that France is willing to play an active role in promoting EU-China dialogue and cooperation. The official website of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday disclosed the contents of the meeting between Wang Yi and Emmanuel Bonne. Wang Yi said that French President Emmanuel Macron visited China last year, and the strategic guidance of the two heads of state reflected the high level and specialness of bilateral relations. China is willing to work with France to make greater progress in bilateral cooperation and bring more benefits to the two peoples. Wang Yi also said that today’s world is full of chaos. As permanent members of the United Nations Security Council and independent major countries, China and France bear important responsibilities for maintaining international peace, stability and development. It is necessary for both sides to strengthen strategic communication, carry out strategic coordination, jointly respond to global challenges, promote the China-France comprehensive strategic partnership to eliminate all kinds of interference, and achieve healthy and stable development. Wang Yi also reiterated that the basis of China-France relations is solid political mutual trust, and the key is mutual respect for each other’s core interests. “We hope that France will abide by the one-China principle with practical actions, refrain from any form of official exchanges with the Taiwan authorities, and not send any wrong signals to the ‘Taiwan independence’ separatist forces.” According to the official website of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bernard said, “France fully understands the importance and sensitivity of the Taiwan issue, adheres to the one-China policy, and will not make any changes in its policy on this issue.” Bernard also pointed out that France looks forward to working closely with China to jointly find constructive solutions to the global crisis. “Under the current international situation, it is crucial for Europe and China to maintain dialogue and cooperation. The EU needs China and hopes to be a trustworthy partner with China. France is willing to play an active role in promoting dialogue and cooperation between Europe and China.” When Wang Yi had a phone call with Bernard at request in January this year, he said that the international situation has undergone new and major changes, which can be said to be chaotic. As independent major countries, China and France should strengthen communication and coordination to jointly inject valuable stability into the world and better leverage the strategic value of China-France relations. Subsequently, Wang Yi was invited to have a phone call with Bernard again in March to discuss the situation in the Middle East. Wang Yi said that in the face of a critical situation, China and France, as permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, should strengthen strategic communication and coordination, firmly safeguard the United Nations Charter and international law, and prevent the world from returning to the law of the jungle. (Editor: Zhou Huiying/Chen Kaiyu) 1150509 Support the Central News Agency’s choice to stand with the facts. Every donation you make is a small amount of sponsorship to protect press freedom. Download the Central News Agency’s “First-hand News” APP to get the latest news in real time. The text, pictures and audio and video of this website may not be reproduced, publicly broadcast or publicly transmitted and used without authorization.



Source link